Crooked Rhyme

"The poet reads/His crooked rhyme."--"Bleecker Street," as sung by Simon and Garfunkel, 1964. This blog is dedicated to the poems of Kelley Dupuis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

I love a rainy night, but never cared much for the late Eddie Rabbitt. I'm a writer and editor by trade, weekend painter and one hell of a cook by avocation. I make a fabulous daquiri using Ernest Hemingway's recipe. I love classical music and jazz when I'm at home, classic rock when I'm barreling up the interstate at 70 mph. I have a Trek road bike and a Cannondale mountain bike. I turned 53 on Oct. 12, 2008. Peanut butter goes great with coffee. My favorite pianists are Glenn Gould and Thelonious Monk. I've lived in Europe, South America, Africa and Russia. I speak a little Russian. I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. I know how to make feijoada, the national dish of Brazil. I once drove in a demolition derby. I love baseball, but I bear the cross of being a San Diego Padres fan. I hate cellphones. I like good Scotch, quality cigars, Frank Sinatra and delicatessen fare. I collect books. I'm a lousy chess player. Mozart is God.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tequila Bottle With Gillyflowers

I have nothing against roses but their short life span.
Maybe that’s why romantics love them so.
They flame out quickly, like Shelley or Byron.
When I was 21 I wrote a poem starring
yellow roses and Melody Coker: “Terminalia.”
(Studying Rome, I was proud of the title
for the latinate irony my bitterness demanded.)
John Ciardi, in one of my favorites of his,
tells the story of 1,000 roses he picked up cheap,
then hauled to church to scatter around the nave
in anticipation of an ex- girlfriend’s wedding
to “steadiness.” (“What a fool!” “But what a gesture!”)
These flowers have a native toughness not often
spoken of, and belied by their genus’ gentle ring.
Put a little salt in the vase-water with them
and they’ll last a long time. They look at home
jammed into an empty tequila bottle, (imagine
doing that with a rose!) and who knows? They might
just thrive there, if only the way Humphrey Bogart
managed to survive on the streets of Tampico
until Walter Huston and Tim Holt came to town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home