Crooked Rhyme

"The poet reads/His crooked rhyme."--"Bleecker Street," as sung by Simon and Garfunkel, 1964. This blog is dedicated to the poems of Kelley Dupuis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

I love a rainy night, but never cared much for the late Eddie Rabbitt. I'm a writer and editor by trade, weekend painter and one hell of a cook by avocation. I make a fabulous daquiri using Ernest Hemingway's recipe. I love classical music and jazz when I'm at home, classic rock when I'm barreling up the interstate at 70 mph. I have a Trek road bike and a Cannondale mountain bike. I turned 53 on Oct. 12, 2008. Peanut butter goes great with coffee. My favorite pianists are Glenn Gould and Thelonious Monk. I've lived in Europe, South America, Africa and Russia. I speak a little Russian. I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. I know how to make feijoada, the national dish of Brazil. I once drove in a demolition derby. I love baseball, but I bear the cross of being a San Diego Padres fan. I hate cellphones. I like good Scotch, quality cigars, Frank Sinatra and delicatessen fare. I collect books. I'm a lousy chess player. Mozart is God.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Burn The House Down

Since I left the valley of home I have not much feared any other loss.
—D.H. Lawrence

The year Vance and I both came home
for Christmas, we occupied bedrooms
at opposite ends of the hall. Vance had
health problems galore: in the middle
of the night he would go to the bathroom,
and the smell was so strong it woke me up.
But it was okay; we were under the same
roof, which didn’t happen very often,
in fact it never did again. In fact, it’s
all gone now, the folks dead, the house
sold, the hallway, the bedrooms,
the kitchen I still have on videotape,
with Mom slicing baked ham on my 37th
birthday, now the scenes of only voices
we never heard, or would ever want to.
The kids did the right thing at the end
of What’s Eating Gilbert Grape? To spare
their dead, 500 lb. mother the indignity
of being removed by crane, they set a
match to the place. Roll the credits.
Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home