Crooked Rhyme

"The poet reads/His crooked rhyme."--"Bleecker Street," as sung by Simon and Garfunkel, 1964. This blog is dedicated to the poems of Kelley Dupuis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

I love a rainy night, but never cared much for the late Eddie Rabbitt. I'm a writer and editor by trade, weekend painter and one hell of a cook by avocation. I make a fabulous daquiri using Ernest Hemingway's recipe. I love classical music and jazz when I'm at home, classic rock when I'm barreling up the interstate at 70 mph. I have a Trek road bike and a Cannondale mountain bike. I turned 53 on Oct. 12, 2008. Peanut butter goes great with coffee. My favorite pianists are Glenn Gould and Thelonious Monk. I've lived in Europe, South America, Africa and Russia. I speak a little Russian. I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. I know how to make feijoada, the national dish of Brazil. I once drove in a demolition derby. I love baseball, but I bear the cross of being a San Diego Padres fan. I hate cellphones. I like good Scotch, quality cigars, Frank Sinatra and delicatessen fare. I collect books. I'm a lousy chess player. Mozart is God.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Haunted House

I was unconvinced until we moved here,
But I’m running out of explanations.
That summer night the back door swung open
By itself could have been a faulty latch.
But what about all these noontime footsteps
On the stairway, which rouse the sleeping dogs,
And which I, thinking my wife has returned
From some errand, go and investigate,
Only to find that there’s nobody there?

I don’t think it’s the man who built the house
In 1891—he died elsewhere.
I’d like to think it’s one who once worked here,
Whose diligence, or dedication to
This place, brought him or her back to make sure
Everything is still in working order.
The footsteps approached the attic Monday,
Where I sat typing. “Nobody up here
But me and the dogs!” The sound of feet stopped.

Did I feel foolish, speaking out like that?
No, not really; these comings and goings
Have gotten as familiar as the old
Plumbing that creaks, moans and sometimes backs up.
Besides, he or she considerately
Avoids anything too over-the-top.
No ectoplasmic stunts, scaring our guests,
No late-night laughter, no blood in the sinks.
That broken vase downstairs? Probably the cat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home