Crooked Rhyme

"The poet reads/His crooked rhyme."--"Bleecker Street," as sung by Simon and Garfunkel, 1964. This blog is dedicated to the poems of Kelley Dupuis.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

I love a rainy night, but never cared much for the late Eddie Rabbitt. I'm a writer and editor by trade, weekend painter and one hell of a cook by avocation. I make a fabulous daquiri using Ernest Hemingway's recipe. I love classical music and jazz when I'm at home, classic rock when I'm barreling up the interstate at 70 mph. I have a Trek road bike and a Cannondale mountain bike. I turned 53 on Oct. 12, 2008. Peanut butter goes great with coffee. My favorite pianists are Glenn Gould and Thelonious Monk. I've lived in Europe, South America, Africa and Russia. I speak a little Russian. I can say the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish. I know how to make feijoada, the national dish of Brazil. I once drove in a demolition derby. I love baseball, but I bear the cross of being a San Diego Padres fan. I hate cellphones. I like good Scotch, quality cigars, Frank Sinatra and delicatessen fare. I collect books. I'm a lousy chess player. Mozart is God.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Glory Hurt

The Norelco gurgles in the empty kitchen,
And I remember the boy who lost his legs,
And then got them back. He lived to run.
The turning point was the return of pain:
Pain came back; from pain came walking.
The absence of pain was what really hurt.

On your last afternoon, you shopped for groceries.
I came home from work, and you recited for me
A precìs of everything you had bought.
The cupboard and refrigerator were full,
And the next morning you died. Fading presence:
As the weeks went by, the things you bought
Vanished, but for an empty orange juice bottle
That I saved, because it was my last request
Of you. As it works its way steadily inward,
The long, long needle of your sudden absence
Pierces, pierces what I have of essence,
And mornings, and nights that must be tunneled through.

Coffee’s ready. The photos on the refrigerator
Don’t help much. November sun speaks abundantly,
The ancient hands-around just weeks away,
But nothing is assured and nothing promised.
The only certainty is the walk to the corner,
Necessary, unavoidable and to be done.

November, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home